Friday, April 30, 2010

Shout outs

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants"
Socrates


So here I am. One sleep to go before I embark on a massive journey, and undertake the biggest physical challenge of my life. I certainly haven't gotten to this stage by myself, and I want to take a quick minute to send some shout outs to those who have helped along the way.

Firstly, to my family, who have all been super supportive, despite their initial (and continuing) concerns. You have all backed me up in numerous ways: by helping me out with buying gear; shipping things from overseas; helping to pack; and showering me with ideas. Also, you were all the first people to show your support by donating to the Starlight Children's Foundation via my donation page:

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/paul_mcnamara

Thanks a bunch!

Next shout out is to the boys, with special mention to the constantly evolving Thursday dinner crew. The combination of great company, good food, and many laughs is unbeatable, so don't take it personally that I am turning my back on every one of those things to go and sleep in the desert by myself. I'll make sure I cook up something special on Thursdays, and am happy to host anyone willing to make the journey. Looking forward to catching up with a few of you overseas later in the year. "11 in 2011, what?"

Shout out goes to Graeme and his team at Blackman Bicycles. I walked into his store about a month ago without a clue about bicycles, and now I still don't have a clue, but I have a bicycle!!! Graeme and the guys have been great, and there's no way I would be as confident as I am with all my gear, or have all my gear set up as professionally as it is, without all their work. Graeme also donated a bunch of essential equipment to my journey in support of what I am doing for the Starlight Children's Foundation. Cheers Graeme.

http://www.blackmanbicycles.com.au/


To Sam and the guys at the 3 Weeds in Rozelle who hosted a farewell for me. It was a great night, perfect location, and we'll be back for sure.

http://www.3weeds.com.au/


To Elise who for the last three days has nagged and nagged me to go shopping and make sure I have everything I need, from baby wipes to bandanas. Thank you for making the shopping bearable, and also for following me around with a camera and helping to document the beginnings of my journey. To see Elise's blog and more of her amazing photography, visit her page:

http://www.lecoco.com.au/


I am writing this just before I pack up my netbook and make it the last item to go on my packed bicycle. Departure time is 8am tomorrow morning from Bondi Beach. I'll do my best to keep in touch and keep this space updated as often as possible. If you want to support my journey, you can do so by donating directly to the Starlight Children's Foundation via my donation page:

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/paul_mcnamara

Every bit helps!

I just loaded the panniers on with all my gear for the first time, and my bike is SO HEAVY!!! The anticipation is too much and I don't think there'll be much sleep tonight.

Get excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment