Saturday, May 29, 2010

Port Pirie

The ride from Burra to Port Pirie sadly signalled the end of my relationship with The Goyder. I rode for most of the day with more great scenery, and very few vehicles, before coming to A1 - the busy, exposed, windy Eyre Hwy.


(above: some peaceful road between Burra and Port Pirie)

In hindsight, I should have turned off before getting to the Eyre Highway, and I had a very tempting option in the interestingly named 'Worlds End Highway'.


(above: worlds end highway, haha "I made it already?")

Today was fairly uneventful, but very enjoyable. I passed through the sleepy towns of Spalding and Gulnare, whose populations are so low, that they probably couldn't get a football team between them (and that's saying something in this part of the world). I also stopped to stretch whenever I had the chance, and of course with my rules, when there is stopping, there is eating!


(above: protein and carb mix to keep me going; eggs and spuds)

122km after leaving Burra, I was in Port Pirie, and was kindly sponsored a room by Mick at The Flinders Range Motor Inn: http://www.theflinders.com.au/index.html. Being a Saturday, there were groups of girls all about town who had obviously just finished their netball games. It was oddly comforting, and I found my thoughts wandering to sausage rolls and killer pythons; items associated with watching my sisters play netball back in the day.

Other than a highly rated chicken parmie I had at the pub, Port Pirie didn't do too much for me, but in its defence, it probably just felt a little soulless compared with an historic Burra. Thinking of it now, it was also nice to be by the water again.

No comments:

Post a Comment