Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wagga Wagga to Narrandera

What a great day! I was on the road by 7am, and cruising along the Sturt Highway as the birds sang their morning tunes. The Sturt Highway is more of a country road at this stage, and with a low sun and singing birds, I took great pleasure soaking up the feeling of being out there alone. “How's the serenity?” This was the first stage of my journey that felt like I was riding across Australia. All previous days have felt more like I was just getting out of Sydney, with traffic buzzing past on a busy highway. But here, I was in the country!

I always get a funny reaction from cows, as I'm sure they're not used to seeing my species. They always get spooked and run away. Bizarre! I guess I'm unusual to them; a fast but quiet funny looking man-chine on two wheels, with a boney head (helmet)... I like to think it's my bulging quads that scare them! Although I think it's a safe bet that's not the case. It's probably more the fact that they can sense my hunger, and picture me imagining them served with chips and salad as I'm riding past. You better run cows!

Today was brilliant on the bike. No punctures. Beautiful country. Hundreds and hundreds of cockatoos. Good progress. And a surprise visit by my parents! Mum and dad took advantage of the weekend (and my slow progress), by coming to Narrandera to say G'day. It was great to see them, and even better that I beat them into town! In a way that only parents can, they managed to follow my tire tracks (foot steps) and say thank you to some of the people who have helped me thus far. "Haha, so you've pretty much done the same journey I have, but in one day!?" What a depressing feeling that gives to my last 8 days, haha! Not at all. It was great to have mum and dad around. They kept asking me if there was anything they could do for me or get for me, and in the end we just went out for a good dinner at the local pub. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten steak over the past 8 days! That's right cows, be very afraid!

Ok, I'm getting shooed out of the library now. Only two days to catch up on. I'm having a blast! Knees are sore, but ok, and I'm making sure I take rest days to prevent permanent injury. That's how I roll.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome effort Paul - we are thinking of you.
    Keep pedalling and keep in touch.
    Take care
    Em

    ReplyDelete